Joanne just finished a brutal genetics midterm and really wanted to relax. So we stayed in, watched a couple comedies and headed over to the nearby White Spot at Oakridge. This worked out perfectly because I really wanted Joanne to try out White Spot’s new ribs that’s only offered for a limited time!
We both got the slow roasted Half Rack Baby Back Ribs ($14.99) that comes with coleslaw and ‘endless’ signature fries. There’s also 3 distinct house-made sauces that you can choose from:
- Tennessee Whiskey: Bold chipotle BBQ combined w/ Jack Daniel’s whiskey
- Mississippi Mild: A blend of sweet red chili and bold BBQ
- Memphis Gold: Made with White Spot’s signature honey mustard for a tangy BBQ twist
I got the Tennessee that tasted alright in moderation. I found that it was a little bit too sweet, which is why I perferred Joanne’s Mississippi Mild.
The meat, the meat, the meat – it’s all about the carcass! It really surprised that White Spot could deliver such flavourful and tender intercostal muscles (fyi, that’s the meat between rib bones). I haven’t enjoyed ribs ever since Dem Bones permanently closed up shop in Richmond! … Those were good times :)
I took this photo to really show that the meat came off the bone! Honestly, I did not strain my muscular fingers at all to achieve this clean bone :)
And of course, what’s a perfect date without froyo!? After dinner, we headed over to Qoola for some mango tango sorbet + pistachio froyo layered & topped with fruit, bursting bubbles, oreo and yoghurt chips! YUMMMMMMM :)
Overall, it was a great meal! The only thing I could complain about is the slow service… We basically had to wait around 25 minutes to be served our food. It’s not really a big deal, especially since the restaurant was packed that night. Nonetheless, we were super eager to get to Qoola before it closes!
- You’d better hurry and try out the ribs because they’re only available for a limited time!
- The buttermilk chicken, which is also featured alongside the ribs, isn’t that great – quite flavourless.
- Dessert is only a few steps away!