To celebrate my two year anniversary with hippoCHAN, I decided to cook her breakfast! Since she loves Eggs Benedict, I ventured to cook up a variation called Eggs Maryland, which sports a crab cake instead of an English muffin. However, I should note that I failed dismally with the Hollandaise sauce… oh well! The crab cake has more than enough flavour to compensate for the sauce loss. Here’s the recipe I adapted from AllRecipes:
3 tbsp mayo
4 tsp lemon juice
1/8 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp minced green onion
1/2 diced red bell pepper
1/2 diced green bell pepper
8 oz crabmeat
3 slices of bread (or whatever helps the cake hold together)
- Mince green onion. Dice red and green bell peppers. Add to medium bowl.
- Whisk in egg, mayo, red pepper flakes, and oregano
- Gently stir in crabmeat, being careful not to break up the meat.
- Chop up the slices of bread. Add into bowl until you can hold a crab cake shape
- Place patties into non-stick pan over medium heat.
- Cook until golden brown (5-6 minutes/side)
Note: If you don’t have a non-stick pan, use oil or butter.
Back Bacon & Poached Egg
- Quickly heat up back bacon in the pan
- Heat up water until you begin to just see bubbles.
- Crack in egg. Try to keep egg together with spoon.
- Assemble Eggs Maryland!