Dr. David Spence must’ve have stopped eating his egg benedicts ever since he published his latest research paper. Recently, he claimed that eating egg yolk is two-thirds as bad as smoking. The basis for this claim was that the cholesterol in the egg yolk causes the build up plaque in the arteries, much like cigarettes.
The study consisted of 1,231 men and women who were surveyed on their weekly egg consumption and smoking habits. The average age of the participants was 61.5. Apparently, the study found that eating at least 3 egg yolks per week significantly increased the amount of plaque when compared to eating 2 yolks or less. As a result, Spence stated that “The study shows that, with age, plaque builds up gradually in the arteries and egg yolks make it build up faster.” By the way, excessive plaque in your arteries is not pleasant because it could clog them up and cause a plethora of cardiovascular diseases.
Since this study was published in the peer-reviewed journal, Atherosclerosis, do you believe it?
Well, right off the bat, I’ll tell you that they didn’t even assess the participants’ levels of activity – how much they exercise. Without a doubt, lack of exercise will increase the risk of cardiovascular disease. Already, there is a big chunk of a person’s life left out of the equation.
Also, the method of cooking an egg affects its nutritional value. There’s a huge difference between boiling an egg in water and scrambling one in butter. Furthermore, what about all the other foods that the individual consumes? The increase in plaque could be due to all the chocolate bars and chips being devoured.
In addition, this study was not a trial. Instead, the participants were merely surveyed on a few areas of their lives, which really narrowed the scope of the research. Accordingly, you can’t really pinpoint and establish a causal relationship without controlling all other factors.
So, I don’t think I’ll be avoiding eggs any time soon. They’re nutritious, tasty and versatile! Smoking, on the other hand… I will stay away from inhaling poison.
Story from The Daily Mail: http://bit.ly/PxKDYH